Language

Die Weinschenke

Über alte Steine, erhellt von Kerzen, führt der Weg in einen spätmittelalterlichen Raum, den man über einen verglasten Sodbrunnen von 1340 betritt. Der Brunnen wird noch heute von Grundwasser gespiesen und ist funktionstüchtig. Der sakral anmutende Gewölbekeller wurde in der Vergangenheit vielfältig genutzt, mal als Schmiede, mal als Pferdestall oder als Lagerraum. Von letzterem Zeugen Haken an der Decke, die dazu dienten, Stangen durchzuziehen und alles aufzuhängen, was vor unliebsamen Nagern in Sicherheit gebracht werden musste.

Und seit 2002 beheimatet der Gewölbekeller unsere Weinschenke.

Hier wähnt man sich fast mit Martin Luther, Michelangelo, Paracelsus und Leonardo Da Vinci am Tisch, doch sind dies nur Träumereien, wenn man mit lieben Freunden bei einem Glas Wein und ein paar Bissen in ein philosophisches Gespräch vertieft ist und die positiven Energien dieses Ortes auf sich wirken lässt.

Die Weinschenke des Hirschens ist ein unvergesslicher Ort, an dem Menschen Mystik, Ruhe und Emotionen erleben dürfen. Mitten im Herzen der Altstadt, und doch fern von Trubel, Hektik und Lärm.

A new era in the Hirschen Hotel...

After over two years of reconstruction the Hirschen Hotel is accommodating guests again. It is situated on the square that bears the same name in the middle of the old town of Zurich. A new wine cave in the basements has opened and its entry is found on the Hirschengasse 6.
The house "Zum Hirschen" had to close down in 1997 because of fire technical reasons, at this time; Hans Neufeld bought the location at the Niederdorfstrasse 13. As the owner of the building company "Neubag", Mr. Neufeld started a complete renovation of the complex together with his own team plus foreman Kurt Stäubli and architect Jürg Kral. The renovation period that lasted two years was accompanied both by the department of preservation of historic buildings and monuments and the department of archaeology. The responsible archaeologists Jürg Hanser and Hermann Obrist appreciate the careful and patient procedure done by the people involved. During the renovation period they had the possibility to investigatethe old ruins and traces of settlers with the C14 method. The traces date backto the 11. and 12. century. Originally there were three houses that grew together; parts of them date back to the 13. century. As time went by, numerous renovations took place until the 20. century, when the Hirschen got its current architecture.

A guesthouse for 300 years

Before the location got its proper name "Gasthof zum Hirschen" in 1703, from 1599 it was called "zum Schermesser im Niederdorf". The name "guesthouse" allows the assumption that even back then, the house provided simple accommodations. In the book "Die Strassennamen der Stadt Zürich" (The street names of Zurich), Mr. Paul Guyer, responsible for the archives, says that the Hirschengasse got its name 1769, the Spitalgasse (hospital street) 1865.

The demolition of the hospital in 1877 in front of the hotel and the pharmacy gave way for a lot of spare space which is called Hirschenplatz since 1917.

The new tenant: Hanspeter Graf

In July 2002, Hanspeter Graf, former tenant and host of the Falkenschloss, took over as the new tenant of the Hirschen Hotel and wine cave. Joining him are his wife Waltraud and daughter Melanie Graf. The restaurant "Mexicano" though is managed by Toni Navarro (restaurant Turm). The fully renovated Hirschen Hotel has 27 double and single rooms, all with shower/toilet, TV, phone, fax and internet connection und offers a nice breakfast room with morning sun where a rich buffet is open daily from 6.30am to 11am. For lunch this room can be booked for private and business meetings including consumption. The reception on the first floor, entry of theHirschenplatz is manned 24 hours. The arched cellar of the 17. century could be put back into its original state after it has been filled up with installations in the previous decades. In this cellar, Hanspeter Graf opened a wine cave that can be reached by the internal lift or by the Hirschengasse. The first steps lead over a glass covered draw well that dates back to the 14./15. century. The legendary wine cellar is opened daily from 4.30pm and invites to aperitif or to a glass of wine, with or without food. This room can be booked for private or business functions outside the opening hours as well.
For more information:

Family Graf, Hotel Hirschen, Niederdorfstrasse 13, 8001 Zürich, tel. 043 268 33 33, fax 043 268 33 34, www.hirschen-zuerich.ch

For historical and architectural questions:
Jürg Hanser, department for urban development, preservation of historic buildings and monuments and archaeology, Amtshaus IV, Lindenhofstrasse 19, 8021 Zürich, tel. 01 216 40 81 or
Hermann Obrist, IG-archeology, Giesshübelstrasse 62i, 8045 Zürich, tel. 01 454 40 20

Heiraten

♥ Sie suchen einen besonderen Rahmen, der den wichtigsten Tag in Ihrem Leben unterstreicht? ♥

Dann heiraten Sie in unseren geschichtsträchtigen Mauern,
mitten in der Altstadt, und doch an einem Ort der Ruhe,
in mystischer und romantischer Atmosphäre.




Seit 2009 haben wir das Privileg, offizielles Traulokal des Zivilstandsamtes von Zürich zu sein. Über 500 Paare haben sich bereits bei uns das Jawort gegeben.

Historische Weinschenke

151x131-weinschenke-kerzenÜber alte Steine, erhellt von Kerzen, führt der Weg

in einen spätmittelalterlichen Raum, den man über einen verglasten Sodbrunnen von 1340 betritt, der noch heute von Grund­wasser gespiesen wird und funktioniert. Dieser sakral anmutende Gewölbekeller

Weiterlesen


Book online now

194x123-rezeptionbook quickly and comfortably now

Here you will find our online reservation system, which is easy to use and helps you to secure your desired booking option.

to our booking system